Sunday, February 11, 2007

My Salute to Gluten & Sugar Free Dieters

It has been a difficult week for me diet-wise. I am sure many people can relate. My first week of wheat, corn, tomato, sugar (and of course dairy) free living was spotless. I cooked every meal in, ate tons of vegetables, kept my sugar to less than 10g per day easily, and my energy sky-rocketed. Then came my urge to eat out...

I love eating out. I have been good for the most part, no Italian, sandwiches, or obvious bread and tomato foods. I even sat, meal-less, watching my husband eat a monsterous burger one night and a heaping plate of pasta marinara another. At first, I ate only sushi. Harmless enough, just a touch of accidental wheat in the smidgen of soy sauce I used. But then, came the Thai food, and the Chinese food, and .... well you get the picture. Though I am pretty sure I have skated the tomato issue, it is very probable that some hidden wheat, corn, and way too much sugar have snuck into the sauces I have been consuming.

And yes, my energy has paid the price. I am beginning to understand the sugar-spike issue.
My husband has been more than patient, but really can't stand it much. Dinners out two or three nights a week have always been the norm for us. Unfortunately, there really isn't a restaurant that I can find with reliable entrees that won't have some hidden sauce. I will likely be lucky. Beyond the dairy, it is probable that I will be able to rotate the wheat and corn into my diet, as they are mild allergies.

To all of you strict gluten-free and sugar-free dieters out there, I salute you! Yes, I even broke down and made some gf muffins this week with sugar. Yikes! For someone who has so much will-power with dairy, I sure become weak in the knees around anything sweet.
I aim to get back on track immediately. There are a few Gluten and Dairy Free cookbooks on their way for our review as well. They can't arrive soon enough, I can surely use some inspiration. Tomorrow's line-up includes a special homemade shrimp fried rice for dinner and perhaps a big salad for lunch. Wish me luck!

No comments: